Sunday, May 28, 2006

Singapore BOLEH!

Don't get me wrong! I'm not trying to betray Malaysia.
But, there is something about Singapore that Malaysia should really learn.
Singapore has been well known for it's efficiency, e.g. it has 1 single cash card to pay for all parking fee, toll fee, to buy anything, and to make any payment. Like wise, all shops accept ATM to may purchase payment.
Besides, Internet payment is well-accepted, as long as you feel comfortable, you can make any payment via Internet.
All the above might not be new to you.
But, recently, I hv had a very pleasant experience with the government agency that I must share with you guys.

In order to convert my driving license, I am required to sit for a test for "Basic Theory of Driving". This test is computerised.
I hv booked for a test session on 9.15am. One hour before the test, candidate could go for a trial test, to get familiarised with the computer system. In fact, it is very straight forward, the computer is touch-screen, you just hv to tap the screen to select the right answer, and proceed, from Q1 to Q50.
The passing score is 45 & above, and 50 mins to complete the test.
Once you hv finished, you just hv to tap for RESULT, and immediately, you are informed if you were PASSED or FAILED. With the result, you could proceed to the counter to make the license,if you hv passed.
I took less than 3 hours for the whole process!
Don't you find this is so efficient?!

As compared with our JPJ, it took me 4 hours to get a print out!
To convert the licence, besides sitting for the theory test, I hv to submit a print out from JPJ, stating my driving record in Malaysia.
The print out is very simple, only giving the information in English, the date I started driving in Malaysia, and the validity of my current driving license.
It was on Friday that I went to JPJ, I knew that the working hours were short.
I arrived JPJ on 10.45am, and submitted all relevant doc before 11.00am.
The officer insisted that they stopped working by 11.00am (but the official working hour is until 12.00 noon), and wanted me to go back by 3pm to get the print out (while they should come back by 2.30pm). There was a Indian couple arrived the same time as me, begged the officer to let them hv the print out before the office closed for prayer/ lunch, as they were rushing to catch a flight back to Singapore.
The only answers they got were...."TAK BOLEH", "MANA BOLEH"....it was so irritating!

Besides the systems, our government officers should change their working attitude, and be more considerate & helpful. Else, we could never catch up with our neighbour.

5 Comments:

Blogger Frogigolo said...

Efficient. Damn efficient. Every country have that except Malaysia. Hope that by year 2020, they WILL have that.

BTW, they are trying to convert our IC into that also I think. The Touch n Go format. But somehow, what to do, some people have 3rd world mentality and refuse to improve themselves!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Frogigolo said...

So, did you pass or fail lar?

4:28 AM  
Blogger evelyn said...

Of course PASS la! I tool half day leave, and everything was done within the few hour, and I still had time to take a nap before I went back office. You know la, so tired after coming back from HK by the nite flight.

I thought this post could come in between your HK Part 1 and HK Part 2, but, I think, because you have drafted it first, thus, when you post it, it still appear before mine.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Frogigolo said...

Ha ha... So, WL, did you pay your kopi-o money with the cash card?

8:16 AM  
Blogger evelyn said...

Hold on!!!!! Don't get agitated by the title!
"Malaysia still boleh" to improve as what PG said.
And, dun worry, I am still a Malaysia, and I LOVE MALAYSIA!!
Will be back, definitely!!

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home